It is normal to feel high levels of stress when things happen that are out of our control. During this pandemic and social distancing, it is important for everyone, including parents and caregivers, to look after themselves. We must all acknowledge our own levels of stress and reactions to them. As we settle into the “new normal”, for the time being, we must not forget to look after our mental health. It is for this reason that we provide these reminders:
- Keep some structure and routine.
- Remember to eat properly balanced meals.
- Exercise can help with managing stress and anxiety – go for a walk or bike ride if you can go outside.
- Mindful breathing, even for short periods of time can help relieve pressure – there are many great apps for mindfulness – Stop Breath and Think is one for children and there are more resources below for adults and teens.
- Make sure you are getting enough sleep.